Welcome to the month of September! Here are twelve things to which I am looking forward!
- October — Let’s just admit it. Around these parts, the best thing about September is that it leads to October and TSL’s annual month of Horror! It’s not just that I spend September looking forward to Halloween. It’s also that I spend September selecting and watching all of the horror movies and reading all the books that I’m going to review in October! There’s nothing more fun that watching all the pieces that make up the jigsaw puzzle that is October fall into place.
- Labor Day — How can you not be excited by our most confusing holiday? Not only does it involve a long weekend and a chance to see family but it also officially signals the end of wearing white. Plus, Labor Day is the official start of campaign season and this year, I’m actually paying attention to the midterms.
- After Ever Happy — The After saga comes to a close. Will the world’s most boring couple manage to stick together? Will that pretentious British dude ever stop feeling sorry for himself? Will the American girl finally realize that she doesn’t have much of a personality beyond whoever she happens to be dating at the moment? And how foolish will people on Twitter act over this movie? The previous After films all made my list for the worst films of the year in which they were released. Will After Ever Happy keep the streak alive?
- Pinocchio — It’s easy to be cynical about remakes but the trailers look adorable!
- Blonde — Finally, after all the hype about the NC-17 rating, we’ll get to see Blonde for ourselves! That said, it is kind of funny the Blonde was rated NC-17 but it’s going to be showing on Netflix, which anyone can watch whenever they feel like it. Is Netflix going to be like, “Hey, if you’re not 17, stop watching right now!?” In the streaming era, ratings feel like a left-over relic from the past.
- Don’t Worry, Darling — Much like Blonde, we’ll finally get to see what all the controversy is about. Personally, I kind of suspect this film will be overshadowed by all the personal stuff involving Olivia Wilde, Harry Styles, Shia, Florence, and that Ted Lasso guy.
- A Jazzman’s Blues — Has Tyler Perry finally made a good film? We’ll find out soon.
- The Venice and Toronto Film Festivals — The Venice festival has just begun. Toronto will start next week. And the Oscar picture will suddenly become much clearer.
- The Return of Ghosts — The second season of Ghosts begins on the 29th!
- The End of Big Brother — This season hasn’t been as bad as other seasons but it’s still getting a bit exhausting and I’m glad that it will be wrapping itself up in another few weeks. I’m also looking forward to the end of The Bachelorettes but I have to admit that the show pretty much ended for me the minute that Meatball didn’t get a rose.
- New Seasons of Survivor and The Amazing Race — Yay!
- Retro Television Reviews — This is a new feature here at TSL. I’ll be launching it tonight, around 5:30 central time. Keep an eye out!
What are you looking forward to in September?