Well, here’s the time that I know we’ve all been waiting for! It’s time for me to reveal my picks for the 16 worst films of 2016!
(Why 2016? Because Lisa doesn’t do odd numbers!)
Now, I should make clear that these are my picks. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the other writers here at Through The Shattered Lens. In fact, I know that a few of them most definitely do not!
What type of year was 2016? It was a pretty bad one. There weren’t many memorable films released but there was a lot of mediocrity and disappointment. Do you know why 2016 was so bad? I think it’s because, if you add up 2 plus 1 plus 6, you end up with 9, an odd number. For that same reason, 2017 is going to be much better. If you add up 2 plus 1 plus 7, you end up with 10, which is an even number that can be cleanly divided.
So fear not! 2017 is going to be a great year!
For now, however, here are my picks for the 16 worst films of 2016!
16. The Girl on the Train (dir by Tate Taylor)
15. The Fifth Wave (dir by J Blakeson)
14. Alice Through the Looking Glass (dir by James Bobin)
13. Jane Got A Gun (dir by Gavin O’Connor)
12. Mother’s Day (dir by Garry Marshall)
11. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (dir by Burr Steers)
10. The Sea of Trees (dir by Gus Van Sant)
9. Money Monster (dir by Jodie Foster)
8. Me Before You (dir by Thea Sharrock)
7. Independence Day: Resurgence (dir by Roland Emmerich)
6. Zoolander 2 (dir by Ben Stiller)
5. The Purge: Election Year (dir by James DeMonaco)
4. Paradox (dir by Michael Hurst)
3. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (dir by Zack Snyder)
2. Yoga Hosers (dir by Kevin Smith)
And finally, the worst film of 2016 … drum roll please ….
- HARDCORE HENRY! (dir by Ilya Naishuller)
Seriously, Hardcore Henry is one of the few films that I have ever had to walk out on. I literally got physically ill while watching the film, largely due to the nonstop shaky cam. Seriously — when your film’s selling point is a technique that literally induces nausea, you’re going to have some problems. Now, before anyone leaves any angry comments, I did make it a point to go back and watch the rest of Hardcore Henry before making out this list. Not only does Hardcore Henry feature a nausea-inducing gimmick but it’s also a rather uninspired and dull action film.
(Feel free to also check out my picks for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015!)
Agree? Disagree? Leave a comment and let us know! And if you disagree, please let me know what movie you think was worse than Hardcore Henry!
Tomorrow, I will be posting my 10 favorite songs of 2016!
Previous Entries In The Best of 2016:
- TFG’s 2016 Comics Year In Review : Top Tens, Worsts, And Everything In Between
- Anime of the Year: 2016
- 25 Best, Worst, and Gems I Saw In 2016
- 2016 in Review: The Best of SyFy
- 2016 in Review: The Best of Lifetime
Pingback: My Top 10 Albums of 2016 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: 2016 In Review: Lisa Marie’s 14 Favorite Songs of 2016 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: 2016 in Review: 10 Good Things I Saw On Television In 2016 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Playing Catch-Up: Love & Friendship (dir by Whit Stillman) | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: 2016 in Review: Lisa Marie’s 10 Favorite Non-Fiction Books of 2016 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: 2016 in Review: Lisa Marie’s 20 Favorite Novels of 2016 | Through the Shattered Lens
I thought JANE GOT A GUN was okay. But that’s because I saw it on Netflix. Movies I would walk on on if I saw it in the theater tend to get a pass from me if I’m watching it at home on Netflix. My attitude is that, “hey, I’m sitting at home in my recliner getting comfortably boozed up. What do I have to complain about?”
Pingback: 2016 in Review: Lisa Marie Picks The 26 Best Films of 2016! | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Lisa’s Picks For The 10 Worst Films of 2018 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Lisa Marie’s 10 Worst Films of 2019 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Lisa Marie’s 16 Worst Films of 2020 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Lisa Marie’s 10 Worst Films of 2021 | Through the Shattered Lens
Pingback: Lisa Marie’s Picks For The 16 Worst Films of 2022 | Through the Shattered Lens