The New York Film Critics Circle just voted on and announced their picks for the best of 2019! (It took about four and a half hours, which is quick by NYFCC standards.) The Irishman winning Best Picture isn’t a shock but just check out some of the other winners! The Safdie Brothers for best director! Lupita Nyong’o and Antonio Banderas for best lead performances! Check out all the love given to international films!
Now, just because a critics group embraces a film or performance, that doesn’t mean the Oscars will do the same. (Last year, for instance, Regina Hall was deservedly named best actress but was snubbed by the Academy.) Still, these awards will keep these names in the conversation and both Banderas and Nyong’o — who, despite their acclaimed performances, have been overshadowed by Adams Driver and Sandler and Renee Zellweger — will probably see at least a little renewed interest as a result of these wins.
Here are the NYFCC winners!
- Best Picture: The Irishman
- Best Director: The Safdie Brothers for Uncut Gems
- Best Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Best Actress: Lupita Nyong’o in Us
- Best Actor: Antonio Banderas in Pain & Glory
- Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern in Marriage Story and Little Women
- Best Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci in The Irishman
- Best Cinematography: Claire Mathon, Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Best Non-fiction Film: Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir Stefanov, “Honeyland” (NEON)
- Best Foreign Language Film: “Parasite” (South Korea)
- Best Animated Feature: Jérémy Clapin, “I Lost My Body” (Netflix)
- Best First Film: Mati Diop, “Atlantics”
- Special Award For Career Achievement: Randy Newman
- Special Award: Indie Collect