Continuing our look back at 2014, below you’ll find 14 of my favorite songs of the past year. Now, you should understand that I’m not necessarily saying that these are the best 14 songs of the year. Instead, they’re just some of my personal favorites. These are the songs that either made me want to dance or that I inevitably found myself singing off-key while I was in the shower. These are the songs that got stuck in my head and which I found myself singing whenever I was stuck in traffic.
These are 14 of my favorite songs of 2014.
(By the way, click on the links in this sentence if you want to see my favorite songs of 2013, 2012, and 2011.)
14) Everything is Awesome — Tegan and Sara featuring The Lonely Island
13) Mess Is Mine — Vance Joy
12) Summer Nights — Kaskade featuring The Brocks
11) Chandelier — Sia
10) Take Ü There — Jack Ü (featuring Kiesza)
9) Blank Space — Taylor Swift
8) Runaway (U & I) — Galantis
7) Blue Sky Action — Above & Beyond featuring Alex Vargas
6) Fancy — Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX
5) Stolen Dance — Milky Chance
4) Get Low — Dillon Francis & DJ Snake
3) Don’t Leave — Seven Lions (featuring Ellie Goulding)
2) Shake It Off — Taylor Swift
1) Long Way Down — Robert DeLong
And finally, here’s my pick for the worst song and video of last year. In the past, I’ve defended some of the notoriously awful songs that have been produced and promoted by Patrice Wilson, just on the basis that they were, at the very least, memorably weird. Friday remains one of my favorite singing-in-the-shower songs and it’s fun to sing when you’re trying to annoy people on Monday. Chinese Food is — well, Chinese Food sucked but I do love Chinese food so I could at least relate to the song. But then, in 2014, came both the song Sush Up and the video featuring 11 year-old Alison Gold playing a sexualized criminal who gets electrocuted in the electric chair. And, of course, Patrice shows up to rap. And seriously — BLEH!
While I’m not going to share the video for Sush Up because it’s really creepy and icky, I will share another video that’ll make my point about Patrice Wilson.
Tomorrow, my look back at 2014 will continue with 20 good things that I saw on television in 2014!
Previous entries in TSL’s Look Back At 2014
- Things I Dug In 2014 Off The Top Of My Head
- 2014 in Review: The Best of Lifetime and SyFy
- 2014 in Review: Lisa’s Pick For the 16 Worst Films of 2014