I recently came to the realization that my destiny is to list and share 666 of my favorite grindhouse and exploitation film trailers. Previously, I’ve shared 12. Here’s 6 more.
1) Liquid Sky — Have you seen Liquid Sky and if the answer is no, why not? Liquid Sky is one of the great underground films of the early 80s, an epic about drugs, aliens, bisexuality, and performance art. Quite simply put, you must see this movie.
2) Blacula — When I first saw this trailer, my first thought was, “Oh, that is sooooo wrong.” But, the movie actually isn’t that bad. William Marshall is wonderfully dignified and haunted as the tragic title character.
3) Bio-Zombie — I haven’t actually seen this movie but I love this energetic trailer (and the Hello Kitty reference, as well).
4) Martin — This trailer for George Romero’s vampire movie features the film’s star, John Amplas, speaking to the audience in character. Martin is one of the unacknowledged great vampire movies. Supposedly, there’s a remake in the works which, needless to say, is not necessary in the least. The original is more than good enough.
5) Near Dark — Speaking of vampire movies, here’s Near Dark. Before Kathryn Bigelow won an Oscar for The Hurt Locker, she made her debut with Near Dark. Of the two, Near Dark is the better film.
6) Rabid — This is an early David Cronenberg film and probably one of his first stabs at being a “commercial” filmmaker (I would have to ask R-Lee for sure on this as he’s the resident Cronenberg expert). The late Marilyn Chambers plays a young woman who gets infected with rabies and proceeds to spread the disease throughout Montreal. As you might expect with a Cronenberg film, the Canadian government quickly turns fascist and a lot of Canadians die as a result. The movie’s not totally succesful but the trailer is. As a sidenote: in 2004, Marilyn Chambers Taylor was the vice-presidential candidate of the Personal Choice Party. I cast my first vote ever for her.