Right now, there’s a lot that I could talk about as far as world events are concerned but I’ll be honest with you. As of right now, I’m obsessed with one thing:
Yes, that’s right. This boat is currently blocking the Suez Canal. (Update: The ship is apparently now free. — LMB) And you know there’s going to be a movie. There’ll probably be several movies. Peter Berg will make a movie with Mark Wahlberg as the engineer brought in to figure out how to move the boat. Wes Anderson will make a movie with Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, and a hundred others having quirky adventures that are all somehow connected to the boat. Steven Spielberg will come up with an inspiring story starring Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance. I’m sure there’s also a hundred horror fans thinking about sea monsters and pirate ghosts right now.
Personally, I want to see a 70s-style disaster movie made about the Suez Canal crisis. I want C and D-list actors emoting all over the place.
Here’s what I read, watched, and listened to this week:
Films I Watched:
- Auto Focus (2002)
- The Beach Girls (1982)
- Billy Madison (1995)
- The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
- Deadly Excursion: Kidnapped From The Beach (2021)
- Happy Gilmore (1996)
- The Hoarder (2014)
- Hunk (1987)
- Killer Advice (2021)
- The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976)
- Love in A Goldfish Bowl (1961)
- On The Town (1949)
- Planet of the Dinosaurs (1977)
- Robocop (1987)
- Robocop 2 (1989)
- Robocop 3 (1993)
- Scandal (1989)
- Space Raiders (1983)
- St. Elmo’s Fire (1985)
- Tom & Jerry (2021)
Television Shows I Watched:
(For some reason, I pretty much exclusively watched old shows this week. To be honest, I think it’s because I spent a lot of time out in my private office, where I can get a lot of the retro stations on my TV. Sometimes, when you’re trying to meet a deadline, a low-stakes show from the 60s or the 70s can provide the ideal background noise.)
- ‘Allo Allo
- American Idol
- The Bob Newhart Show
- The Bold and the Beautiful
- Charlie’s Angels
- City Confidential
- Days of Our Lives
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- The District
- Fawlty Towers
- First Among Equals
- General Hospital
- Ghost Whisperer
- Hell’s Kitchen
- Hill Street Blues
- Law & Order
- The Love Boat
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show
- My Evil Sister
- One Day At A Time
- Open All Hours
- Red Dwarf
- The Rookies
- Saved By The Bell
- Starsky and Hutch
- Three’s Company
- The Voice
- Who’s The Boss?
- Yes, Minister
- The Young and the Restless
Books I Read:
- Killer Instinct (1997) by Jane Hamsher
Music To Which I Listened:
- Amy Winehouse
- Big Data
- Blanck Mass
- Britney Spears
- The Chemical Brothers
- The Crystal Method
- Edgar Allan Poets
- Fritz and the Tantrums
- New Order
- Nine Inch Nails
- Public Service Broadcasting
- Saint Motel
- Simple Plan
News From Last Week:
- Beverly Cleary, beloved children’s book author, dies at 104
- Larry McMurtry, ‘Lonesome Dove’ Novelist and ‘Brokeback Mountain’ Oscar Winner, Dies at 84
- George Segal, Leading Man of Lighthearted Comedies, Dies at 87
- Jessica Walter, Tart-Tongued Matriarch of ‘Arrested Development,’ Dies at 80
- Bertrand Tavernier, French Filmmaker and Leader of a Generation, Dies at 79
- Oz star and poet Craig ‘muMs’ Grant dies aged 52
- Kylie Jenner backlash swirls on Twitter after GoFundMe donation request
- FBI posts photo of Capitol Riot suspect who looks like Rick Moranis
- Social-Media Star David Dobrik Leaves Dispo App Startup After Sexual-Assault Accusation Against Ex-Member of His Entourage
- David Hasselhoff to Play David Hasselhoff in German TV Series
- William Shatner celebrates 90th birthday by creating an AI version of himself for future generations
- Alamo Drafthouse Opening New Location in Texas
- DC Films Taps ‘Promising Young Woman’ Director Emerald Fennell to Write Zatanna Superhero Movie
- ‘Jeopardy!’ contestants petition to remove Dr. Oz as guest host
- Cineworld’s Regal Cinemas to Reopen With ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ in Deal With Warner Bros.
- They Just Moved Into an Austin Neighborhood. Now They Want to End One of Its Traditions.
- Britney Spears files petition to remove father as conservator
- Anonymous Songwriters Group Calls for Artists to Stop Demanding Royalties for Songs They Didn’t Write
- Sharon Osbourne exits ‘The Talk’ amid race controversy
- Piers Morgan defends Sharon Osbourne after she exits ‘The Talk’
- Scarlett Johansson says her political views shouldn’t affect her career
- Chet Hanks Says Something Stupid
- New Harvey Weinstein accuser claims she bloodied his genitals fighting back
- NY Gov. Cuomo got family priority Covid testing, including CNN’s Chris Cuomo (reports)
- CNN must investigate host Chris Cuomo over special Covid-19 tests, says Society of Professional Journalists
Links From Last Week:
- George Segal, R.I.P.
- RIP Jessica Walter…An Appreciation Of Her Life And A Look At Her Classic Thriller “Play Misty For Me…”
- Will Zack Snyder Be Invited to Make a ‘Justice League’ Sequel? The Answer Is a Test of Whether Hollywood Still Works
- The Pain of Paying Dues in a Pandemic: Hollywood Hopefuls on the Rough Start to Their Careers
- The Dream of the ’90s Died in Portland
- Francis and The Godfather: is Hollywood becoming creatively bankrupt?
- Sean Young on Surviving Hollywood’s Many Toxic Men
- A New Genre of Film Is Already Here: COVID Movies
- The ridiculous, censorious social media campaign against Six Days In Fallujah
- CNN’s Defense of Chris Cuomo’s Special COVID Privileges is Grotesque
- The Cuomo Scandals: This Is CNN
- 10 Movies That Will Make You Cry
- New Graphic Novel Explores History of Cults In America
Links From The Site:
- I shared the trailer for The Suicide Squad! I paid tribute to Michael Haneke and Akira Kurosawa! I shared a scene from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood! I reviewed Tom & Jerry, Deadly Excursion: Kidnapped From The Beach, Auto Focus, Eureka, Love In A Goldfish Bowl, and Hunk!
- Erin shared: The Absence of a Cello, The Thin Line, Mercy Island, Other Worlds, Big-Town Hellcat, Murder!, and Detective World!
- Jeff shared music videos from John Waite, Journey, Roxy Music, Tears For Fears, Poison, Modern Talking, and Rage Against The Machine!
- Ryan interviewed Alex Graham and reviewed The Antifa Super Solider Cookbook, Bughouse, and That Full Moon Feeling!
More From Us:
- At SOLRAD, Ryan Carey reviewed Campbell Whyte’s Home Time!
- Ryan has a patreon! You should consider subscribing!
- At her photography site, Erin shared: Faucet, New Washing Machine, Christmas Past, Old Dryer, Sudden Blur, The Last Phone Book, and Some Ducks Go Their Own Way!
- At Pop Politics, Jeff shared: Happy Birthday William Shatner, Tom Reed’s Retiring, Israel’s Fourth Election In Two Years, Biden’s Press Conference, We’re All On A Boat In The Suez Canal, Happy Passover, and My WordPress Updated!
- At SyFyDesigns, I shared: One Good Thing About All of This, Another Day of Old TV, The Commercial Trend I Hate, Go Dino Go, One Thing I Hope Never Changes, Ask The Undertaker, and The 6 Most Underrated Presidents!
- At my music site, I shared songs from Blanck Mass, Saint Motel, Edgar Allan Poets, Simple Plan, Jakalope, Public Service Broadcasting, and Banks!
- At my dream journal, I shared: Last Night’s Car Theft Dream, No Dreams Last Night, Last Night’s Party Dream, Fragment From Last Night, Last Night’s Dallas Dream, This Morning’s Con Artist Dream, and Last Night’s Dream In Which I Yelled At Joe Biden!
- For Horror Critic, I reviewed: Planet of the Dinosaurs!