And so another week comes to an end.
After all the drama of the extended awards season and all of the scenarios that we all went through as we tried to predict which films would and would not be nominated, Monday’s Oscar nominations were rather anti-climatic. For the most part, there were no shocking snubs nor were there any truly awful nominations. I can even accept the nominations that Borat received. For those who were hoping for at least one totally weird nod — like Jared Leto for The Little Things — it didn’t happen. (The only real shocker was both Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield being nominated for supporting actor for Judas and the Black Messiah, a film that I guess the Academy decided did not have a lead actor.) For the first time in history, two female directors were nominated. That’s a good thing but, otherwise, the Oscar nominations were, for those of us who love controversy, almost boring.
Of course, I have to admit that I was far more interested in celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this week than obsessing over the Oscars. Even though the annual parade got cancelled, I was determined to go out and celebrate and that’s just what I did. I went out and I celebrated my heritage with friends and family and I stepdanced to Celtic folk music and, later on that night, I got a bit too enthusiastic and I missed a few steps and I managed to twist my ankle. It’s really not a holiday unless I manage to injure myself in some way, is it?
Anyway, it’s not a bad sprain. (To be honest, I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve sprained and/or strained that ankle.) I spent most of this weekend resting and, when I woke up on Sunday morning, I was feeling a lot better. Of course, as I stumbled around this morning, I managed to accidentally slam my ankle against the coffee table, which led to me doing a lot of cursing and hopping around but I’ve recovered.
Finally, I hosted three live tweet events this week. For #FridayNightFlix, we watched Cocktail, which is on Prime and which everyone of you needs to watch this upcoming week. And then, for Saturday’s #ScarySocial, it was The House On Sorority Row! And then, after #ScarySocial, it was time to watch The Thirty Dead with the #LateNightMovie Gang! And then, just a few hours ago, I watched Deadly Illusions with some of my fellow TSL contributors. Four fun movies with good friends, that’s the perfect way to end your week.
Here’s what I watched, read, and listened to this week:
Films I Watched:
- The Caller (1987)
- Cocktail (1988)
- Cutting Class (1989)
- Deadly Illusions (2021)
- The House on Sorority Row (1982)
- Jaws: The Revenge (1987)
- Pitch Perfect (2012)
- Scissors (1991)
- The Thirsty Dead (1974)
Television Shows I Watched:
- Allo Allo
- America’s Most Wanted
- American Idol
- The Bachelor
- Bar Rescue
- The Bold and the Beautiful
- Call Me Kat
- Days of Our Lives
- The District
- General Hospital
- Ghost Whisperer
- Hell’s Kitchen
- Hill Street Blues
- King of the Hill
- Most Daring
- Open All Hours
- Parking Wars
- The Rookies
- The Voice
- The Walking Dead
- Yes, Minister
- The Young and the Restless
Books I Read:
- Devoted (2020) by Dean Koontz
- Gilded Cage: A Russian Mafia Romance (2021) by Nicole Fox
Music To Which I Listened:
- Addison Rae
- Big Data
- Billie Eilish
- Bob Dylan
- Britney Spears
- Brittany Howard
- Cage the Elephant
- The Chemical Brothers
- Daft Punk
- Dillon Francis
- Dropkick Murphys
- Fatboy Slim
- Franka Potente
- Gary Nunan
- Hans Zimmer
- Icona Pop
- Imagine Dragons
- Jake Bugg
- John Carpenter
- The KLF
- Madeleine The Person
- Neon Indian
- Nine Inch Nails
- Olivia Rodrigo
- The Prodigy
- Public Service Broadcasting
- Saint Motel
- Selena Gomez
- Sleigh Bells
- The Selkie Girls
- Taylor Swift
- The Oscar Nominations
- Phoenix Film Critics Winners
- Austin Film Critics Association Winners
- Writer’s Guild of America Winners
News From Last Week:
- Oscars Make History by Nominating Two Women Directors
- Chloé Zhao Is First Chinese Woman Nominated for Best Director at the Oscars
- China Orders Media To Downplay Oscars Coverage After Chloé Zhao, Hong Kong Doc Noms – Update
- Yaphet Kotto Dies At 81
- ‘The Talk’ producers ‘destroyed the show’ with Sharon Osbourne debacle
- The Talk Extends Hiatus A Second Time During Piers Morgan/Sharon Osbourne Controversy
- ‘Bhad Bhabie’ Danielle Bregoli says she was abused at Dr. Phil-touted troubled-teen camp
- 2021 Oscar Awards Show To Look Like A Movie: No Zoom, No Sweatshirts allowed
- Matthew McConaughey Addresses Speculation He May One Day Run for Texas Governor: “It’s Something I’m Giving Consideration”
- Christopher Nolan’s Tenet Gets HBOMAX launch date
- SXSW: ‘The Fallout’ Takes Grand Jury Award
- Chris Harrison Hires Powerful Lawyer over Bachelor Dispute
- Oscars surprises, snubs include Glenn Close, ‘Da 5 Bloods’
- Oscars 2021: How The Two Leads for Judas and the Black Messiah Were Both Nominated For Supporting Actor
- Disneyland Reopens And Begs You To “Scream Inside Your Heart!”
- Female roadie rats out rock gods: A Beatle proposed, Iggy Pop stole from her
- Texas Roadhouse founder Kent Taylor commits suicide amid COVID-19 battle
- Sharon Stone: I was pressured to have sex with co-star
- Armie Hammer Being Investigated by LAPD after woman accuses him of rape
- Ronald DeFeo, whose murder spree inspired The Amityville Horror, dies
- Andrew Cuomo Is Accused of Sexual Harassment By Current Aide
- Andrew Cuomo threatened to compare critic to “child rapist” in leaked audio
- Andrew Cuomo accuser Lindsey Boylan leads NYC impeachment rally — as fans gather to support him
- CNN guest calls out network on-air for Cuomo brothers ‘love-a-thon’
- Chris Cuomo has lost an average of 600,000 viewers a night on CNN since his brother’s nursing home and sex scandals – which the show ignores
- Intruder takes shower, drinks booze in Johnny Depp’s Hollywood mansion: report
- Coachella Music Festival Moving to 2022: Sources
- ‘In the Heights’ Moves Up Release Date
- L.A. Celebrates Return of Movie Theaters: ‘I’ve Been Waiting for This for a Year’
- Queen Elizabeth to hire ‘diversity czar’ after Meghan Markle’s Oprah interview: report
- Meghan Markle reportedly networking with Democrats, eyes bid for US president
- Critics Choice Association Expels Jeffrey Wells Following Posts About Atlanta Shootings
Links From Last Week:
- All the ‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoffs in the Works at HBO
- Justice League: Comparing The Snyder Cut vs the Joss Whedon Cut
- First Day of Spring Poetry
- ☘️Happy St. Patrick’s Day!☘️
- 17 Irish Movies to Watch on St Patrick’s Day
- RIP Yaphet Kotto…Paying Homage To This Iconic Actor…His Greatest Roles…
- On Guilt
- CLASSIC ALBUMS REVISITED: PET SOUNDS
- An E-mail Interview with Oudai Kojima, Director of JOINT [Osaka Asian Film Festival 2021]
- How Some Americans Fell For Andrew Cuomo’s Good Guy Performance
- Why ‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Is So Pointed About Race, Nationalism and the World Today
- Only Tolerance Can Save Us From Political Fanatics
- Why Government Funding Hurts PBS and NPR
- Chloe Zhao Backlash Will Test China’s New Era of Hollywood Censorship
Links From The Site:
- I paid tribute to David Cronenberg. I wished everyone a happy St. Patrick’s Day. I reviewed Schizoid, The Beach Girls and the Monster, Top Secret!, The Sound of Metal, Jaws: The Revenge, and The Thirsty Dead!
- Erin shared: Love Life of a Hollywood Mistress, Hollywood Hellcat, Fight Stories, Tom Blood Highwayman, Madame Buccaneer, Mystery Adventures Magazine, and La Paree!
- Jeff paid tribute to Yaphet Kotto and shared music videos from Pet Shop Boys, Eurythmics, U2, 4hero, ABC, The Beach Boys, and Survivor!
- Ryan interviewed Sean Knickerbocker!
More From Us:
- At SOLRAD, Ryan reviewed Dog Biscuits!
- Ryan has a patreon! You should consider subscribing!
- At Days Without Incident, Leonard shared a song from Brittany Howard!
- At Pop Politics., Jeff shared: Beware The Ides of March, Thoughts of a Former Smoker, Happy St. Patrick’s Day, 2024 Predictions, Here Come The California Recall, Everything You Need To Know, and Andy Kaufman on The Dating Game!
- At her photography site, Erin shared: More Old Cameras, Old Flash Bulbs, St. Patrick’s Day Morning, Mourning, Morning, Bird On A Wire, and Made in Texas!
- At SyFy Designs, I shared: Perspective, I Miss Spring Break, For St. Patrick’s Day A Poem By William Butler Yeats, St. Patrck’s Day Recap, Ankle Update, What I’ve Learned over The Past Two Days, and Ouch!
- At my music site, I shared songs from Phantogram, Gorillaz, Saint Motel, Imagine Dragons, Gary Nunan, Billie Eilish, and Olivia Rodrigo!
- On my online dream journal, I shared: Last Night’s Oscar Dream, Last Night’s Weird Party Dream, Last Night’s Shopping Dream, Last Night’s Dancing Nightmare, Last Night’s Dream About Waiting Out A Tornado While Half-Naked In The Laundry Room, Last Night’s James Franco Dream, and Last Night’s Bad Kitty Dream!
- At Horror Critic, I reviewed The Caller, Scissors, Invitation to Hell, Summer of Fear, Cutting Class, The Wraith, and The Food of the Gods!
Want to see what I did last week? Click here!
Thanks for the link. JOINT is an absorbing film with a charismatic lead. Hopefully it gets screened near you.
Hope your ankle gets better!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for he link back
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Lisa’s Week In Review: 3/22/21 — 3/28/21 | Through the Shattered Lens