No, this is not the good version of Knowing Me, Knowing You that I have mentioned on numerous occasions. Frequently there is a clash between the dates on the YouTube posts and when the video was actually released. They often put a copyright date in the description for the video. I’ve found that date refers to the release of the song. This song did come out in 1976, which the copyright date indicates, but mvdbase says the “snow” version came out in 1977, while this “sailboat” version came out in 1976. I’m going with mvdbase on this one.
This is the eleventh ABBA music video I have done so far. I would call this one of their vacation/casual music videos like the one for Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) or Bang-A-Boomerang. The thing that makes this video standout is that it puts the spotlight on Frida. Here’s an easy way to tell.
Those are at the same point in the song. One has Frida in the background, and the other solely onscreen. Agnetha and the rest of the band are just kinda there. I’m not saying that wouldn’t become common place in music videos later on. Look at any video from one of your favorite bands, not a solo artist. You’ll notice that the main focus is frequently placed on the lead singer. However, it feels odd for an ensemble group like ABBA. That’s even if the group did kind of frame Agnetha like Hall, to Frida’s Oates.
Oh, and there’s this.
I have no doubt that Russell Mulcahy was at least aware of this video. How am I so sure? ABBA did another video like this in Australia, which is where he is from. In fact, if IMVDb is to be believed, then Mulcahy directed the live performance AC/DC did for Baby, Please Don’t Go the same year as this, and the other video.
I wonder if that was meant to parody ABBA. It wouldn’t surprise me.
- Ring, Ring by ABBA (1973, dir. Lasse Hallström)
- Ring, Ring by ABBA (1973, dir. ???)
- Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough) by ABBA (1973, dir. ???)
- Waterloo by ABBA (1974, dir. Lasse Hallström)
- Hasta Mañana by ABBA (1974, dir. ???)
- I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do by ABBA (1975, dir. Lasse Hallström)
- I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do by ABBA (1975, dir. ???)
- Bang-A-Boomerang by ABBA (1975, dir. Lasse Hallström)
- SOS by ABBA (1975, dir. Lasse Hallström)
- Mamma Mia by ABBA (1975, dir. Lasse Hallström)