I’ve been up at Lake Texoma and on a mini-vacation this entire week. I haven’t turned on a television or checked the news since last Sunday and it’s been wonderful. I’ve spent this week meditating, writing, sunbathing out on the deck, and listening to Lee Horsley read Larry McMurtry’s epic novel, Lonesome Dove. And while I’m definitely frustrated by the fact that I can’t tan worth a damn, I’m otherwise feeling very relaxed and very much at peace. I’m ready to face the second half of this year.
It’s funny. When I came up here, I brought my portable DVD player. I brought several DVDs. I think I was assuming that I would spend the whole time watching movies and writing about them. But once I got up here, I realized that I really, really needed to get some rest. Like some real, actual rest. I needed to stop worrying about things and stop pushing myself and just enjoy nature and basically, take care of myself. So, that’s what I did. As a result, I didn’t watch a lot of movies this week. But I now feel so centered that I know I’m going to be able to make up for it next week. I think that sometimes, we forget how important it is to just rest and get centered with the universe. I feel like I can breathe again and that’s a wonderful feeling.
ANYWAY — here’s what little I did watch, read, and listen to.
Films I Watched:
- The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
- Athlete A (2020)
- Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)
- Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988)
Television Shows I Watched:
- The Office
- Unsolved Mysteries
- Warrior Nun
Books I Read:
- Lonesome Dove (1985) by Larry McMurtry (Technically, I didn’t read it as much as I listened to it on Audible. It’s a great book, though.)
Music To Which I Listened:
- Adi Ulmansky
- Big Data
- Bob Dylan
- Britney Spears
- Calvin Harris
- Jessica Simpson
- Kid Rock
- Rocky and the Bullwinkles
- Saint Motel
- Taylor Swift
Links From The Site:
- Erin shared Film Fun, The Stranger, Hanging On, The First Quarry, Thrilling Love, 4th of July, and Affair With Lucy! She reviewed Major League, Major League II, The Stratton Story, and Hardball! She also profiled artist William Jacobson and shared, for the 4th: Vintage Patriotic Posters, The Patriotic Magazine Covers of July 1942, Independence Days Of The Past, and My Americana! She also wished America a happy birthday!
- Jeff shared music videos from AC/DC, Queen, Sparks, ELO, Tom Petty, and Huey Lewis and the News! He reviewed Faster, Blue Thunder, The Baltimore Bullet, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Some Kind of Hero, From Noon Till Three, and Three Fugitives! He also paid tribute to Carl Reiner!
- I shared a music video by Classified, wished all of you a happy 4th of July, and paid tribute to Peter Walker and Michele Soavi! I also reviewed Bugsy Malone, Love Me or Leave Me, and Murder, Inc. And, of course, I shared my June Oscar predictions.
- Ryan reviewed King of Nowhere, Billionaire Island, Gideon Falls, and Dead Eyes!
More From Us:
- At Days Without Incident, Leonard shared Hamilton’s Wait For It.
- Ryan has a Patreon! Consider subscribing!
- At her photography site, Erin shared Ducks, Be Prepared To Stop, House and Flag, In the High Grass, July 3rd, Flag Flying High, and Flower!
- At Pop Politics, Jeff shared Election Predictions, The 2000 Year Old Man, and Kanye West For President!
- On my music site, I shared music from Adi Ulmansky, Calvin Harris, Lindsey Stirling, Haim, The Big Moon, Lady Gaga, and Cage The Elephant!