Wow! I have no idea what the story behind this video is, but for some reason, four years after Stan Ridgway left Wall Of Voodoo, they covered The Beach Boys’ song Do It Again, and Brian Wilson is in the video. The only information I can find is in the YouTube comment sections on postings of this video. One says that Wilson and Wall Of Voodoo had a good time putting this together despite the content and where Wilson was at this time in his life. Another says that the group was probably forced by their record company to do something pop friendly, yet dark, in order to survive as a group. Other comments are just about the quality of the song or taking jabs at Eugene Landy–played by Paul Giamatti in the film Love & Mercy (2014).
Sit back and take in the weird. This is like a post-apocalyptic look at the vision of California The Beach Boys created while also being prophetic about their own group breaking up the next year.
30 Days Of Surrealism:
- Street Of Dreams by Rainbow (1983, dir. Storm Thorgerson)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Children by Dio (1985, dir. Daniel Kleinman)
- The Thin Wall by Ultravox (1981, dir. Russell Mulcahy)
- Take Me Away by Blue Öyster Cult (1983, dir. Richard Casey)
- Here She Comes by Bonnie Tyler (1984, dir. ???)