Happy Valentine’s Day!
It’s snowing! As I write this, it’s currently snowing outside! For a full week, those of us in Texas were told that a huge winter storm was coming and …. well, hey, the weather report was right for once. Anyway, I’m happy. It’s beautiful and it’s romantic and it’s also extremely cold. Actually, I’m not really all that happy about the extreme cold. I mean, the snow looks good but then you go out and MY GOD! (To quote my sister: “That negative 15 degree wind chill hits you in all the wrong places.”) I don’t think we’re supposed to get up above freezing until next Friday so I guess that means I’ll be watching a lot of movies. Of course, I seem to say that every week. What can I say? I’m an optimist. I start every week with the assumption that I’m going to watch every single movie ever made while also writing history’s greatest novel in longhand.
It’s interesting, though. I spent an entire week worrying over this gigantic blizzard that everyone insisted was coming our way. I worried about the promise of single-digit temperatures and several inches of snow. I was so worried that we were going to lose power or something similar. And now, the snow has arrived and it’s lovely. There’s probably a lesson somewhere in there.
Anyway, here’s what I watched, read, and listened to this week:
Films I Watched:
- Barefoot in the Park (1967)
- A Bullet For Pretty Boy (1970)
- The Avalanche Express (1979)
- The Food of the Gods (1976)
- The Forbidden Dance (1990)
- I Married A Witch (1942)
- Lambada (1990)
- The Love Witch (2016)
- My Bloody Valentine (1981)
- The Poltergeist Diaries (2021)
- The Principal (1987)
- Roman Holiday (1953)
Television Shows I Watched:
- 9-1-1: Lone Star
- America Undercover
- American Idol
- The Bachelor
- Bar Rescue
- California Dreams
- Court Cam
- Crime Scene: The Vanishing At The Hotel Cecil
- The District
- Dr. Phil
- Hells Kitchen
- Hill Street Blues
- It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
- Law & Order
- The Love Boat
- The Masked Dancer
- The Office
- Open all Hours
- Parking Wars
- Saved By The Bell
- Tough as Nails
- Unsolved Mysteries
- Yes, Minister
Books I Read:
- Blood Aces: The Wild Ride of Benny Binion, the Texas Gangster Who Created Vegas Poker (2014) by Doug J. Swanson
- Secrets and Lies (2012) by Christine Keeler
Music To Which I Listened:
- Blanck Mass
- Bob Dylan
- Britney Spears
- Calvin Harris
- The Chemical Brothers
- Dua Lipa
- Elle King
- Jake Bugg
- Marc Collin
- Martin Garrix
- Martin Gore
- Rebecca Black
- Saint Motel
- Taylor Swift
- Tomoyasu Hotei
- London Film Critic Circle Winners
- Toronto Film Critics Winners
- Washington D.C. Film Critics Winners
- Critics Choice Award Nominees
- Seattle Film Critics Nominees
- AARP Nominations
- DFW Critics Winners
- Dorian Award Nominees
- Utah Film Critics Winners
Links From Last Week:
- The Spymaster
- Searching for Shelley Duvall: The Reclusive Icon on Fleeing Hollywood and the Scars of Making ‘The Shining’
- Buffy Deserves Better Than Joss Whedon
- Disney Cancels The Mandalorian Star Gina Carano Over Provocative Social Media Posts
- Why Were They So Cruel to Britney Spears?
- I was an MTV VJ during peak Britney. ‘Framing Britney Spears’ made me ashamed … and hopeful
News From Last Week:
- Paramount Pictures Locks $2 Million Deal For Gabrielle Zevin Novel ‘Tomorrow, And Tomorrow, And Tomorrow;’ Temple Hill Producing
- A24 Buys Explicit Sundance Movie ‘Pleasure’ About L.A. Porn Business
- Pioneering Hollywood casting director Lynn Stalmaster dies
- Rowena Morrill (1944-2021)
- We Know the Best Picture Oscar Contenders, but No One Knows Who’s Watching Them
- Justin Timberlake Apologizes to Britney Spears and Janet Jackson: ‘I Failed’
- ‘The Bachelor’ Under Fire for Contestant’s Social Media Controversy & Chris Harrison Commentary That ‘Perpetuates Racism’
- Chris Harrison Briefly ‘Stepping Aside’ From ‘The Bachelor’ in Wake of Racist Controversy
- Former ‘Bachelorette’ Rachel Lindsay Says She Will Not Renew Her Contract With Franchise, Addressing Chris Harrison Controversy
- Gina Carano Hits Back, Announces New Movie Project With Ben Shapiro’s Daily Wire: “They Can’t Cancel Us If We Don’t Let Them”
- Charisma Carpenter accuses ‘Buffy’ creator Joss Whedon of toxic and verbally abusive behavior
- Michelle Trachtenberg Said That Joss Whedon Wasn’t Allowed To Be Alone In A Room With Her On “Buffy”
- Buffy’s Sarah Michelle Gellar, Michelle Trachtenberg and More React to Charisma Carpenter’s Joss Whedon Allegations
- ‘Firefly’ Writer Jose Molina Says Joss Whedon Bragged About Making Female Writers Cry
- Britney Spears’ father loses bid to retain control of delegating her investments
Links From The Site:
- Doc wished everyone a happy Valentine’s Day!
- Jeff shared music videos from Queen, Corey Hart, Madness, Eddie Money, Howard Jones, Rolling Stones, and U2!
- Erin shared part 7 of It’s Love and Cosmopolitan, The Show Girls, They Call Her Easy, Hot Date, Manhattan Nights, Play It Cool, and Do Not Disturb!
- Ryan shared an interview with Mara Ramirez and reviewed Sketch Zine 2020 and Single Camera Sitcom!
- I reviewed A Bullet For Pretty Boy and the Poltergeist Diaries! I paid tribute to King Vidor and Darren Aronofsky! I shared the Super Bowl spot for Nobody!
More From Us:
- Ryan has patreon! You should consider subscribing!
- At Days Without Incident, Leonard shared a song from Tina Turner!
- At Pop Politics, Jeff shared: Thank You Tom Brady, Here We Go Again, Larry Flynt Was Still Alive?, The New Normal, The Lincoln Project: Making Schadenfreude Great Again, A Second Acquittal, and Happy Valentine’s Day!
- At her photography site, Erin shared: Backyard, Digging in Back, Coke, Sometimes The Day Is Just Gray, Sometimes The Day Is Just Gray 2, Hanging On, and Cold as Ice!
- At SyFyDesigns, I wrote: The Equalizer: A Short Review, Cold Weather’s Coming, Disappointment, I‘m Having A Panic Attack Over the Weather, I’m Not Longer Freaking Out About The Weather, Still Waiting On The Bad Weather, and It Snowed!
- On my dream journal, I shared: Last Night’s Cat-Related Dream, Last Night’s Angry Dream, Last Night’s Lake Dream, Last Night’s Teaching Dream, No Dreams Last Night, Last Night’s Angsty Fragment of a Dream, and Last Night’s Snow Dream!
- At my music site, I shared songs from: Martin Gore, Martin Garrix, Marc Collin, Blanck Mass, Rebecca Black, Saint Motel, and Britney Spears!