“So we whisper a dream here in the darkness
Watching the stars til they’re gone
And when even the memories have all faded away
These days go on and on”
We’ve finally reached the end of 27 Days of Old School and I think it appropriate that I choose a heartwarming and life-affirming song from 1994 by the incomparable Vanessa Williams.
While Madonna courted controversy on the other side of the ledger was the classic beauty and soulful talent that was Vanessa Williams. She may not have had the mega-success that Madonna had in the music business, but she still left quite a mark on her own terms.
She’s been on top of the charts as an R&B and pop singer. She really hit her stride with her second full-length album which includes the memorable ballad “Save The Best For Last”. She would follow this ballad with “The Sweetest Days” which is also the name of her third album.
While she hasn’t been making music these past years she has branched out into becoming a successful actress both on the big and small screen and even doing some time on Broadway.
So, for those who feel down and out and who think the world is crashing down around and on them I recommend they sit down, relax and listen to this song. It might just help lift things up even if just a bit.
27 Days of Old School
- “Billie Jean” (by Michael Jackson)
- “Word Up!” (by Cameo)
- “Tell It To My Heart” (by Taylor Dayne)
- “You Got It All” (by The Jets)
- “Welcome to the Jungle” (by Guns ‘N Roses)
- “Hip to Be Square” (by huey Lewis and the News)
- “What’s On Your Mind (Pure Energy)” (by Information Society)
- “Rio” (by Duran Duran)
- “I Got It Made” (by Special Ed)
- “Jackin’ for Beats” (by Ice Cube)
- “Seasons Change (by Exposé)
- “If Wishes Came True” (by Sweet Sensation)
- “Alone” (by Heart)
- “The Trooper” (by Iron Maiden)
- “You Shook Me All Night Long” (by AC/DC)
- “Gimme All Your Lovin” (by ZZ Top)
- “Take On Me” (by A-ha)
- “Take A Bow” (by Madonna)
- “You’ll See” (by Madonna)
- “Whip Appeal” (by Babyface)
- “One” (by Metallica)
- “Here I Go Again” (by Whitesnake)
- “Mama Said Knock You Out” (by LL Cool J)
- “Here and Now” (by Luther Vandross)
- “Voodoo Child” (by Stevie Ray Vaughan)
- “I’m Still In Love With You” (by New Edition)